Friday, January 22, 2016

The Fence

The Road is in - Boy that has been an ordeal.
But it's done for now.  September 2015
Zac had previously buried the pipe for the ditch, and then got it all leveled out. 
Digging post holes - The post hole digger that Ace Hardware rents was a piece of junk, and we didn't want to wait, so the digging commenced - September 2015
Everyone helped !
Zac had cemented the corner posts, and then ran a string line so the post holes would be in a good straight line. 
Beautiful pic - just as the sun was setting.  Everyday after work, we would work until dark. 
Then the cementing of the poles began.  We started everything on the South side, then across the back, and finally up the North side. 
These bags of dry cement (SAKRETE) each weighed either 50 or 80 pounds.  I helped lay them out next to each hole, and I think that day I figured I had moved close to a ton !
They would dump the dry bag of cement in the hole, even it up, and then pour in a bucket of water. 
After all of the posts were in, then came the long pipes for the top and middle.  Landon was a big help one Saturday, and he moved the long poles around where they were needed, both by tractor................
.........and by hand (and back)
Zac was finishing up cementing the North side on this day.
Landon was moving pipe.
I think this was the first pipe that they set on top, and then decided that each of the posts would have to be notched. 
Zac did each of these by hand, after building a JIG that he would pop on and off each pole.
Long tedious work ! - but Zac just got to it.  It had to be done, right?
Setting the top pole AFTER the notches has been made - much better.
All of the top rail was welded in place...............
I think these were each 24 feet long, which spanned 3 - 8 foot openings.
Then the middle rails (8 feet each) were welded.   Notice Tagg and Zac have the helmets, and Dad and Rog were looking away so there eyes wouldn't get burned.  
Zac had to build another JIG for this, to help hold the pipes, and also for measuring accuracy.
Everyone pitched in and was a big help.  One of the guys who Zac works with loaned Zac the big welder, and it was much appreciated.  
We were happy the days were still so mild.  Most of this went on in October, and into November. 
After all of the welding was done, then the forming of the bottom wall was started.
This was about mid-November. Still no snow, thank goodness.  
This became a tricky thing, as it was now so cold it was freezing, the the ground had to be covered BEFORE the cement was poured, and the cement had to covered AFTER it was poured, and Zac only had so many tarps, and insulated covers.  
The first pour didn't go as far down the South side as was planned for. 
The second pour finished up the South side, went all along the back, and a little ways up the North side. 
Ernie Durrant and Steve Wiggill did the pouring, and Dad and Zac helped. 
We decided to cover the 2nd pour up with straw.  Randy Sessions gave us a big round bale, and it worked perfectly.
This day was December 5th.  I remember this, because this is the day Grandpa Ben died (7pm that night)
The forming of the North side was alot harder than the previous two sides for a couple of reasons, both elevation, and also the road that had been put in made for more work.  Zac wasn't able to complete the forms in time...........
And unfortunately the snow did not hold off, and the pour that had been scheduled had to be postponed.
The worry now, was the wet ground - and would the heavy cement trucks sink out of sight when they pulled in?
All we needed was for one of them to get stuck !  Zac finished up the forming, and plowed the snow off, down to the ground, and the next sunny day, the pour was scheduled early in the morning so the ground would be frozen.

Thank goodness everything worked out, and I think it was the Monday before Christmas that the last pour was completed. 
GOOD THING TOO!! - because it snowed and snowed and snowed.
This day was December 24th - Christmas Eve, and beautiful sunny day, and we worked very very hard to get the forms and insulation all removed. 
It was a great day in the snow, and the kids played and worked, and played and worked. 
We were able to get everything finished up, and after Christmas Zac started working on getting the cow panels put up and wired to the poles (Unfortunately I don't have any pics of that).

Many Many people have commented on it.
It is pretty impressive - probably the best built fence in Morgan County (SERIOUSLY).

Zac builds things just like my dad.
Perfectly, and built to last through the millenium !

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...