Thursday, March 3, 2011

Talk like a Morganite...............

I hope this post doesn't offend.  Maybe I should have entitled it, "Talk like me" - anyway, here goes:

Moun - uns (We've sure got big ones, and on the other side of them is.....(see next word:)
Lay - un  (A city on the other side of the (see previous word:)
Crick (not the one you get in your neck, the one that runs through the property :)

Lie-locks (my favorite flowers that smell heavenly)
Morgun (no, not Oregon) or if you try and be MORE specific..........
Richveal  (no, not Richfield)

Now for ones, that I don't personally use...........but I have heard others around town say.......

Somethink (something)
Granite (as in taking something for granted)
Closent (where you put your clothes when you aren't wearing them)
Perry knife (the little knife you peel apples with)
Amblee - ence (emergency vehicle)
Mo-tail (motel)
Graded (as in the cheese was grated)
Verily (as in, "The window is so dirty, I can verily see out of it")  - wait a minute, that's only Steph, and she's not technically from Morgan (haha).

We go DOWN the canyon,  or we go UP to Henefer.
We go UP to Porterville or DOWN to "Moun-un Green".
Of course if we are in Porterville, then we go DOWN to Morgan.
And if we are in Mountain Green, then we go UP to Morgan.
If you live where I do (Rich-veal) - then you just go OVER to Morgan ;)

Confused yet??

Places:

Harchgravel   (as opposed to Hardscrabble)
Loss Crick (as opposed to Lost Creek)
Eees Canyon (as opposed to East Canyon)
Taggarts (it's not supposed to be plural)
Evingston (that would be Evanston)

We refer to Highway 89 between Lagoon and the mouth of the canyon as "The Mountain Road"  or should I say "Moun - un" Road.

Highway 89 going UP the hill at the mouth of the canyon is Uintah Dugway or just "The Dugway".

and "the canyon" is Weber Canyon of course.

We know where to find:


The Devil's Slide
The Devil's looking-glass
The Devil's eye
Devil's Gate

AND
The Dirt Spot



Alot of us work at the  BASE, or  the PLANT (or the SLIDE)  - and we don't have to specify further than that.

The word COMO, evokes smiles, sighs, dreamy looks and remembrances of summer days soaking in the sun, feeling the splash, hearing the music and the screams of laughter, tasting the taffy, smelling the Hawaiian Tropic, watching the farm boys in levi cut-offs doing dives into the 10-feet........... ahhhh Summer of '75.............but I digress........

For some of us........

7-11 will always be DayBair
Jubilee will always be Roger's
Spring Chicken Inn will always be Larry's
and Ace Hardware will always be Coast to Coast


Can you think of any more "Morgan - isms"? - if so, leave me a comment !

3 comments:

Live it, Love it, Rock it! said...

Gwen - you are so cute!! I LOVED this.

LyrixAfghans said...

Gwen. Your "Talk like a Morganite" is priceless! Makes me miss my home!

Sherilee said...

Soooo true. I've only lived here 1/3 of my life and I talk like a Morganite too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...