Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seat Belts



Do you wear your seat belt? I'm pretty good when I'm on the freeway, but here in Morgan, I tend to forget. My excuse? It's a pain to reach behind me (in Lando's little two door). That's stupid, huh? And I know that most accidents happen right near home (mine did). I was driving down to Peterson this morning, and thought, "I should buckle up", and then I remembered a dream I had last night. Have you ever done that? Forgotten a dream TOTALLY, and then something "triggers" it, and you remember during the next day? Well in my dream last night, I was in an accident (slow motion) and I was thinking......."I'm not buckled up - I'm going to die !!", and I was struggling to get buckled up, and everything was in slow motion.

What I really wish is that all vehicles MADE you buckle up. Right now, Roger's work vehicle BEEPS when he's not buckled, but if he gets up to 20MPH, he can unbuckle, and it "fools" the car. So automatic as clockwork, he gets in, buckles up, accelerates to 20 MPH, and unbuckles. Stupid, huh? Zac doesn't wear his seatbelt much either. I wish he would.

Nowadays, my kids are EXCELLENT about having their babies and kids buckled up in car seats. I'm SO GLAD this is the way it is now. When my kids were younger, it wasn't such a big deal (to my everlasting regret), and when I was a baby, it was basically unheard of.

I remember a funny story about my dad. He was a little boy, and was in the backseat, and Grandma and Grandpa Dickson were driving back from Morgan, somewhere along Highway 66, and they went around a corner, and dad was leaning against the door, and hit the handle, the door opened, and he fell out. Grandma screamed, "Reed, you've killed our boy!" I've heard the story so many times, I can remember EXACTLY what she said :) Well, they stopped the car, and ran back, and there was my dad. He was okay, probably bruised up, but unhurt enough to say.........."Daddy, you #@*%$, you threw me out of the car!"

Another time when I was a little girl about 8-9 years old, we used to get milk from Grandpa Dickson's farm. He milked cows, and we had a big glass jug, and used to fill it up from the big milk tank at his barn. One night mom drove up to get some milk, and me and Erika (6-7 years old), and Mark (2-3 years old) were in the car. She ran in the milk house really quick, leaving her front car door open, car running, and the gear in PARK. We were parked on a hill, and Erika was in the back seat, and Mark and I were in the front, and Mark accidentally hit the gear shift. The car started rolling down the hill backward, with the door open, and Mark in the driver's seat. It was so scary !! We were all screaming, and I remember Erika asking me if she should jump out and run for help. My mom was running down the hill after the car, I can only imagine she must have been frantic. To this day, I don't know why Mark didn't fall out the open door, because it was on the downhill side. I'm sure he was being looked out for by Heavenly Father. I think we finally hit a tree and stopped. With all of the screaming, Grandpa and Grandma and everyone at their house ran out to see what was wrong. We were all crying, and it was SO SCARY.

Anyway, after this long rambling post :) The message is.............. Wear your seatbelt !

1 comment:

Annette said...

Thanks for the reminder - I actually fell out of the car when I was little, fortunately for me, my mom was not going too fast..I was in a car accident a year ago, thank goodness I had my seat belt on. It left ugly and painful bruises, but it healed much more quickly than if my head had gone through the windshield...it is very seldom that they have to remove a dead person from the car wearing a seat belt..Always wear your seat belt, even in the country.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...