Saturday, July 13, 2024

Cardiac Catheterization aka Angiogram, then turned into Angioplasty (stent inserted)

Yesterday I went in for a Cardiac Catheterization.  The doctor is checking for blockages in my arteries in my heart, as the PET scan I had done last month showed there were some problems.  I had my first heart attack in January 2017, and had 5 stents placed.  I've been on medication since that time.  Hopefully he'll be able to determine what needs to be done going forward.  

 UPDATE : Well, he found a partial blockage in my LAD artery !  Scary reading about this below........

Picture above - home resting last night about 6pm. 

I arrived yesterday at the hospital a 7am, and went back in for the Catheterization (turned into an angioplasty when the stent was placed) at about 8:30am.  Was out of the procedure at 9:30 am.  Had to lay flat for 2 hours, then could sit up (but not get up out of bed) for another 4 hours.  3:30 pm, was able to get up and walk a little bit and go to the bathroom.  Roger picked me up at 5:30 pm.  They don't put you out during the procedure.  Just give you some nice relaxing drugs (Versed, Fentanyl, Valium),  At one point during the procedure, I asked Dr. Harb if he was in my heart (at that point), and he said, "Yes, can you feel it?" and I confirmed that I could feel something, though it didn't hurt.  
Picture of the blockage (doesn't really look like much here)......but in the picture below........
Sure looks a lot better with the stent in, huh? 


Dr. Harb also checked my other stents from 2017, and said they look great.  I've been on high cholesterol medicine since then, and even though I've put on weight (and haven't been eating the best), I'm surprised that another blockage occurred.......   Another thing that concerned me, is that when the heart cath techs and nurses heard that I had previous stents 7 years ago, they acted like they were surprised that they had lasted 7 years, and that maybe fixing them/replacing them wasn't surprising (this was before the procedure).  I thought they were supposed to last forever !?!?!   Definitely some things I need to discuss with Dr. Harb at my follow-up appointment. 
 

The thing that really surprised me with this blockage, is how different the symptoms were compared to the 2017 blockage.  Totally different symptoms.

2017 - upper arms felt like they were going to explode (like when a blood pressure cuff is on tight), and also my back really hurt. 
2024 - Weird breathing when exerting myself about 130bpm......... strange ! No other pains at all. 

I'm grateful for modern medicine, and I totally like and trust Dr. Tariq Harb, and I love his PA, Linda. 

I'm taking it easy today, but should be able to resume normal activities soon.   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...