Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Early morning walks

Cam sent this picture the other morning.  She and a friend hiked on South Mountain early one morning at sunrise.  Isn't that a beautiful desert picture? Isn't that a BEAUTIFUL girl ?? (Love you Cam) 




Here's a picture from my early morning hike a few days ago.  I walked over to "Ada's" and back.  It will always be that to me.........  "Ada's", meaning Ada Waldron, who lived in an old red brick home (torn down now) at the intersection of Richville Lane and Hwy 66.  It's 3 miles round trip my my house to "Ada's" and back home.  
Made me think about other "walks"- my ancestors trekked from the mid-west to the Rocky Mountains to reach the Salt Lake Valley. 
  
Jemima Cook Toone, my 3rd great grandmother was with the ill-fated Martin Willie Handcart company. 

My 2nd great grandmother, Martha Derricott Tonks,  fell asleep by the side of the trail, exhausted from helping others.  When she awoke, the wagon train was gone, and she was left alone in the wilderness.  Thankfully she was able to find the trail, and met her husband who was walking back to find her. 

My 1st great grandmother, Martha Slade Dickson, crossed the plains at age 10 with her widowed mother and siblings, having a baby brother die in her arms on the plains of Wyoming. 

I come from a long line of great women who did HARD THINGS. 
I can do hard things too ! I am proud of my heritage.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...