Friday, July 12, 2013

Did you hear the one about the Farmer?

Has anyone heard me WONDERING where our WHITE chicken was laying her eggs lately?

Let me tell you a story.............  When we got our mini-horse about a month ago, we moved things around and disrupted our chickens usual laying spots.  All of a sudden, we had hardly any eggs !   About a week later, I found a hiding spot, and we got THAT fixed, and started getting a few more eggs.  

However, we were still missing the WHITE eggs.  I knew we had ONE chicken left who laid white eggs, and they were no where to be found........... (I just figured the other chickens weren't laying as much)  I should have done the MATH.  15 chickens...... I should be getting 12-13 eggs a day AT LEAST.

I kept asking Rog, have you checked the barn?  She's GOT to be laying them somewhere......the answer was always, "I can't see them".  Well guess what?

Yesterday, there got to be SO MANY that they started falling out of the hiding place.     This caused us to look further, and reach deeper into the recesses of the 1/2 ton bales of hay in the barn. 

You guessed it !  Count em' up...........THIRTY FOUR !!!!!  (not counting the ones that were broken)

And as you can see, a few brown chickens are taking advantage of the spot also :)

I have read the FRESH EGGS stay up to 3 weeks without needed refrigeration, but since we have NO WAY of knowing exactly when these were laid......... they all went into the garbage :(

At least we know ANOTHER spot to check now, and our egg production should increase dramatically !!  Yahoo !!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...