Sunday, February 27, 2011

Four Sisters, Together again !

November 17, 1925 - February 27, 2011


These pictures were taken in April of 2002, on the occasion of my Grandma Flora Tonks' 93rd birthday. Up until this point, only baby Blaine Dawson (a brother who had died at birth), and brother Garnet  (who had died 10 years earlier) were missing. Two months later, Grandma would be gone.

Grandma, Uncle Dale, Aunt Jane, Uncle Max

Seated around the table from left to right (clockwise) Aunt Bonnie (Teresa), Uncle Ellis, Aunt Lola, Grandma Flora, Uncle Dale, (Uncle Max is sitting on the couch, and you can barely see his white hair), Aunt Jane, Betty (Max's wife), and Uncle Ellis' wife (Margaret?)

Here is a picture taken probably in the late 40's or early 50's.
Back row: Flora, Garnet, Teresa (Bonnie), Lola, Ellis and Jane.
Front row: Dale, Meredith Andrew (dad), Ellen Emily (mom) and Max.
You can see where my sister Erika gets her height from, huh?

Aunt Jane is standing to the left in this picture.  She was just a four years old when Grandma Flora was married in 1929.  I remember reading in Grandma's journal, how she loved to have Jane come and stay with her and Grandpa and how she had sewed some little clothes for her.

These sisters (and brothers) shared a special bond.  I remember fondly, the Dawson Family reunions I attended as a little girl at the Henefer Park  They loved to give kisses !!

Now just 9 short years later...........these four sisters are gone.

Of course, I remember my Grandma.  She was the oldest in the family - and the shortest :) I knew her the best, and loved her the most.  I knew she loved me too.  I think that is a blessing for everything grandchild - to KNOW that your grandma or grandpa loves you.



Aunt Bonnie always seemed so  exciting, and always so happy to see me. She was always dressed to the Nines, and wore makeup.  It seemed to me that she marched to beat of her own drum and did her own thing and knew her own mind.  I've always thought my Manda reminded me of her.  Aunt Bonnie died in 2007.

 
Aunt Lola loved to laugh.  I always thought of her as a funny lady.  I actually worked with her a little bit at Browning in the early 80's.  She was always smiling and fun to be around.  Everyone at Browning loved her.  Aunt Lola died a year after Grandma, in 2003.


And Aunt Jane - what a classy classy lady.  She had lived all over the world, and seemed so sophisticated to me.  She was so so kind and sweet, and as each of the sisters have passed on - Grandma in 2002,  Aunt Lola in 2003, Aunt Bonnie in 2007, Aunt Jane was still a connection to them.  When I looked at her, I could see the "Dawson Girls". I could see my Grandma.
Now Aunt Jane has gone on to join them. We will miss her, but what a wonderful reunion it must have been. Uncle Martin has only been gone just a little over a year (Oct 2009) - and she will see again, her son Lewis who died in 1983 (while flying for AirMed), and also a grandson who died in a snowboarding accident the day after Christmas in 2003, and a great grandson Aiden.

Now only Ellis, Max and Dale remain.  I get to see Uncle Max once in awhile, and I just want to put my arms around him and hug him.  He has that "look", and reminds me of Grandma.

Families are Forever - It's true !!

2 comments:

SHIRLEE said...

wow gwen what a great tribute and history you have created. you are awesome

Bettinson Bunch said...

She was the sister that reminded me the most of "my" grandma! It was always SO fun to see Aunt Jane! I will miss her, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...