Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Pumpkin Pie

Treyson wanted me to make a Pumpkin Pie like Grandma D.
She uses a big SQUASH, but I decided to actually try a pumpkin, so we used one that hadn't been cut up as a Jack-o-Lantern for Halloween.  I cut it in 4th's and scooped out all the junk, oiled the "meat", and put it in the oven to bake.
It took about 1 1/2 hours to bake at 350
I was surprised that the pulp was kind of stringy like a spaghetti squash !
Scraped the pulp out, and all was left was the skin.
Mashed it all up with a potato masher - it was still quite lumpy, but I thought it would cook to mush when I got ready to make the pies.
I divided them into 3 cups per bag.  Grandma D's recipe calls for 3 cups (and other ingredients) and will make 3 pies. I have enough to make 24 pies (8 bags).  I kept one bag in the fridge, and then froze the rest.
So this Sunday, Treyson who wanted the PIE so badly, didn't want to come and bake, but these two did !
I let them help, or I should say, they really did most of the work.  They are becoming quite the bakers !!
Cooked it up on the stove - still looking very lumpy
Made the pie crusts too !
Love it !!
They were pretty proud. 
We had enough crust left over after making three crusts, so we made CRUSTOS !!
Wow - looks pretty smooth to me.............
Thanks to this !!
I ended up PUREEING the HECK out of it, and it turned out smooth as silk
And VERY YUMMY too !
Unfortunately the filling was still pretty hot, and you have to wait for it to cool before putting in the pie shells, so they only went home with CRUSTOS on Sunday evening.  
The pies turned out WONDERFULLY, and SCRUMPTIOUS !!
Thanks Boys !!
I also ended up making little pie shells on the back of muffin tins, and filling them individually.  I took a couple to Mom and Dad, and a couple to my friend Phyllis at the Family Tree, and hope to give one to my ministering family tonight. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...