Sunday, June 2, 2019

Ellen and Met - my Great Grandparents

This is my Great Grandma Ellen Emily Toone
She was born in Croydon, in 1890
She was named Ellen (after her dad's first wife) and Emily (after her mother)
She was the oldest child in her family of eight children.
This is my Great Grandpa Meredith (Met) Dawson
He was born in Henefer, Utah in 1883
He was named after his father, but called "Met" throughout his life.
He was born smack dab in the middle of  the 9 children in his family.
Met and Ellen were 7 years apart in age.
They married in 1908
Met was 25, and Ellen was 18
Their first daughter Flora Almina (my grandmother) was born the following year (1909)
Met loved animals and  always had a horse, pet lambs, and a dog or cat around. He herded sheep for Alma Richins and during the summers the young family would live in a log cabin in Taylor Hollow by East Canyon so he could be near the sheep.  (About 1914)
Left to right:  Garnet, Met (with dog), Flora looking at Met, and Teresa sitting on Ellen's lap, and a couple of other herders at the right. 
Approx 1921 - Ellen and Met with their young family at their home in Henefer
Ellen, holding Ellis, Teresa, Lola (in front) Flora, Met, and Garnet

Met worked at the Cement Plant until September 1926 when he had a bad accident which caused him to almost lose his arm when it was caught in some machinery. The doctor wanted to remove his arm at the elbow, but he said, “Absolutely not! Save as much as you can.” They saved all but half of his right hand. His health was never good after the accident, but he worked when work was available. In his later years, he was custodian for about fourteen years at the school in Henefer and endeared himself to all the children and teachers. He loved to write poetry and was very good at it. 

Ellen was a practical nurse and really enjoyed helping those who were ill. While living in Devils Slide, Dr. Dorland asked her to manage the hospital there. To the small town of Henefer she was a saint, doctor, midwife, and what have you. She was always willing to help anyone who was in need of help. Many were the times that Met took over the household duties while she was nursing a sick neighbor or taking care of a new baby.

Met and Ellen's home environment was very humble, but they were never without the necessities of life. They were active in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and their children were raised with the same love for its teachings. 
They were sealed together as a “Forever Family.” in November 1923.
.


Approx - Late 1940's  Met and Ellen eventually ended up with 9 children, 8 who lived to adulthood
Back:  Flora (my grandma, the oldest and tiniest), Garnet, Teresa aka Aunt Bonnie, Lola, Ellis, Jane
Front:  Dale, Met (Dad), Ellen (Mom), and Max
Ellen and Met in their later years
This picture was probably taken in the 1950's (before 1957)
Ellen would have been in her mid 60's
Met was 74 when he died in 1957
Ellen and Met
(Notice Grandpa Met's right hand that was injured in the accident at the Cement Plant)

I never knew my Great Grandpa Met Dawson.  He died in 1957, four years before I was born.
I've loved looking at the old pictures I've scanned.  He was no stranger to the camera, and is in alot of pictures, always smiling.  I would have liked to have known him. He seemed a kind and happy man, probably where his son Max (My Great Uncle Max Dawson) got it from.  He reminds me most of what Grandpa Met would have been like. 
This picture above is how I remember my Great Grandma Dawson.
This picture was taken in 1968
I was 7 years old (second from left)
Grandma Dawson was 78 years old.

Here we are - many of her great grandchildren.
Most are my first cousins I grew up with.

Grandma Dawson died three years later, in 1971.
I don't have many memories of her....... one time I remember playing checkers with her at my Grandma Flora Tonks' home in Round Valley.  Grandma Dawson eventually went to live at a nursing home in Salt Lake City.  I think it was in Salt Lake, because that is where four of her children lived (Garnet, Teresa, Ellis, and Dale)


Gwen (Me) in back making a face...........  My mom (Veloy) pregnant with Tonya,  my brother Mark with the serious look on his face, Grandma Dawson, and my sister Erika (the perfect child ;) (luv you Kuk)

I think this might have been on Grandma's 80th birthday (June 1970) since she is wearing a corsage.
Tonya would have been born in September 1970, and Grandma Dawson died in January 1971.

It's been fun looking back through these pictures and remembering.
Met and Ellen lived a full life, full of ups and downs, just like we all are doing.
I am proud to be their grand daughter.  I am proud of my family heritage.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...