Thursday, January 1, 1981

January 1981 - from my journal


January - I started working at I.R.S. seasonal on days.

January

2 - Take Grandpa to Ogden
5 - I start work at I.R.S.
6 - Tend Casey (Layne & Susan's boy)
7 - Get Elder's Quorum rolls (Rog is the secretary)
8 - Go with LuAnn & Ben out to eat
9 - My birthday
10 - Go to the Utah Noodle to eat
12 - Joni's birthday
13 - Lesli Nance Durrant's baby shower at Christine Nelson's (Tyrell)
14 - Clean mom's house
15 - Shower at Kelly's ??
17 - Malan & Deanne Supper
20 - Inservice
21 - Homemaking club, Home Ec Room at the High School
22 - Diane Call is tending Amanda
9 - Sent in Federal Taxes for refund
11 - Club (Homemaking)
11 - Do Uncle Don's chores
12 - Mailed State Income Tax Return
14 - Salt Lake ( Is this when we stayed at that dumpy motel, and then met Linda & Bruce and went to the pagoda?)
17 - Amanda, Well baby clinic  29 inches long and 18 pounds
26 - Diana's wedding?
28 - Annette's wedding?

January 1, 1981

I can't hardly believe another year has passed.  I certainly hope that this year will be an improvement.  What I mean mostly, is the economy and the affairs in the world.  The hostages still haven't been released yet, and gas is $1.08 a gallon. It was $1.22, but it's come down a bit, but gee, I can remember when it used to be .25 a gallon.  Grandma Dickson is in the hospital. She suffered a mild heart attack Sunday, and Monday the 28th and 29th of December.  But she's improving, and the heart isn't damaged, thank goodness.  We love her and Grandpa so much.  I wish they wouldn't ever die, but I guess being realistic, their years left on this earth are few.  Roger's still at work.  The fog and smog have been terrible down in Ogden and Salt Lake City.  It's been beautiful up here in Morgan.  You've never seen anything like it. We were outside without coats it was so sunny and beautiful.  Winter might never come!!  Well, 3 more days of freedom, then I start work.  In some ways I'm excited, and then I think how I'll hate to leave Mandy. I'm so mixed up.  Our car registration expired on December 31st, so I've got mom and dad's station wagon.  I guess my main new years resolution is to have personal and family prayer night and morning, every day .  It will be hard, but I'm hoping the Lord will help us.  I wonder if this year we'll get to the temple?  I've got to start treating Roger better and quit nagging and screaming at him.  Please help me Lord.  I'm not a bit strong, and the Devil really goes to work on me best by making me feel like nothing really matters.  It's hard to believe it's been 2 years since Ambure was killed.  December 30, 1978, I'll never forget that date.  I've got to get busy and do her history.  Roger gave me a camera, and some clothes for Christmas.  We all had a very good Christmas.

January 2, 1981

Today, Friday, hasn't been a very busy day.  I did 2 loads of wash and cooked a meatloaf and froze it for when Grandma Dickson gets home. Then I'll take it up for their supper.  She says she might come home tomorrow.  I've got a roast and stuffed potatoes in the oven right now for Roger's dinner.  I sewed up a practice pair of pants tonight, they don't fit too well around the waist.  I just sat down and started my Sunday School lesson. 
New Years Eve, we went down to Linda's and had a party and ate breakfast.  We also went to the show "9 to 5", it was really funny.  I traded the pants Roger got me back in.  They were a 27 inch waist, & I need a 26!!  Well, I should hem Amanda's pants, so I'll quit writing now.


January 4, 1981

Well, tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. I start work again.  This time at I.R.S. in Ogden.  I haven't worked since last March 7, 1980 at Browning Arms.  I'm kinda nervous about the roads being slick, so I'm leaving at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow.  I'm beat right now.  I made Roger some no-bake cookies & his dinner is in the oven.  Today, Sunday, Me and Mandy went to church and I taught my class.  Then we went up to Grandma Dickson's.  She came home from the hospital today. I sure hope she never has another heart attack.  I'm gonna do my exercises, then go to bed for awhile.  I'm working on three pair of pants (black, brown, & tan)  the zippers really have me stumped.  Tomorrow afternoon, I'll try and finish one pair.  See ya!!  Mandy's screaming!!

January 7, 1981

Well, I've been working now for 3 days, or training you could say.  The first day was just orientation. The second day and today we listed to tapes and we are learning to use the machines.  Today was kinda hard, but I've willed myself not to get depressed. I will catch on .  Amanda fell the other day and hit her eye against the bookcase.  It turned into a shiner today.  LuAnn's taking me and Joni down to Ogden and out to eat tomorrow night for our birthdays on the 9th and the 12th.  I think Amanda's getting her 5th tooth. (upper left, next to her big front tooth)  Roger called a few minutes ago, and he said he would be very late.  They broke down for 4 hours.  He is so sweet & good to Amanda,  he takes such good care of her, and we love him so much.  He is so caring and conscientious of all our needs.  He works so hard to provide for us.  I finished the black pair of pants today, except for the hem.

January 9, 1981

I'm 20 years old today, 2 decades.  Wow!!  I don't feel old, but I've really grown up this past year.   I realize now what they mean when they say young marriages rarely work out.  Ours almost didn't, and if it wasn't for Ambure dying, I doubt that we'd still be married  But we're very much in love, and very happy now.  Sure we argue sometimes, but never anything really big.  Amanda is the love of our lives, and everything revolves around her,  I guess that's because she reminds us so much of Ambure.  My training is going very well, and I'm picking up everything fast.  There are allot of parts to it , but they are relatively easy.(I worked in the Data Entry Department)
Only 6 more days and then it's over, and if I pass the test, then I'll probably be hired sometime in February.  Mom and Dad gave me a beautiful blue cowl neck shirt to go with my maroon wool skirt and also $10.00.  LuAnn & Ben gave me a really good heavy-duty cookie sheet.  Roger hasn't got me anything yet because were broke, but he will.  We went  to Arby's Roast Beef and ate lunch today to kinda celebrate! I've been over to mom's all afternoon sewing and vacuuming.  I hope we can get the pants done & pressed at the cleaners by Monday or Tuesday.  Well, I guess this week I'll find out whether or not I'm pregnant.  I'm probably not. (the pants I keep referring to, are some that mom and I made for me to wear to work)

January 16, 1981

Well, only 2 more days of training, counting today.  It's gone really well, & I think  I'll pass the test Monday.  Amanda woke up sick night before last, and she was so sick all day yesterday.  She's waking up now.  I'll maybe write more tonight!

January 19, 1981

Today was the last day of training.  I'm pretty sure that I passed the test, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up to high.  Amanda is feeling better and we sure don't know what it was.  I missed my period the 13th, though I'm still not sure.  I hope with all my heart I'm pregnant, because we're so excited we've told allot of people.  We sold our cow today. Tomorrow we're going shopping and finally get my drapes.

January 22, 1981

Well, the hostages are finally released!!  They were let go on the 20th, only a few minutes after President Reagan was inaugurated.  Since then, many tales of their torture are just now coming out.  They are is Weisbaden, Germany at a hospital undergoing medical examinations.  All that's been on the news is this marvelous event.  Mandy was really a good girl today.  It seems I've been so impatient with her lately, since I've become pregnant.  In only 9 days she will be exactly 9 months and 22 days old, the same exact age as Ambure was the day she was killed.  We miss her so much, but it's so true that time dims the memory.  Amanda is different, yet so much like her, and sometimes it's hard to keep them and their actions separate now that they're so much the same age.  We love both our girls so much and this new life that is inside me. We care about it and hope for it's safe development and arrival.  I finally got my new drapes that I've had on order since October.  We hung them today and they look great!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...